The Philippine General Hospital in Manila is considered as the country’s largest medical institution. It occupies 10 hectares of prime Manila real estate, 45 buildings, and 125,000 square meters of floor area. The hospital has over 1,000 in-patient beds and receives 3,000 outpatient visits per day. It was established on September 1, 1910.
The PGH, being the largest training hospital in the country, is the laboratory hospital of health science students enrolled in the University of the Philippines. This includes students of medicine, nursing, physical therapy, pharmacy, occupational therapy, dentistry and speech pathology. It is also affiliated with the nursing schools of the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila and the St. Paul University-Manila.
There are 14 clinical departments–Anesthesiology, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Neurosciences, Pediatrics, Otorhinolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Rehabilitation Medicine, Psychiatry, Radiology, Pathology, Emergency Medicine and Obstetrics & Gynecology–all of which offer residency and fellowship training. It also offers various training for paramedical specialties such as nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, radiation technology, nutrition, hospital dentistry, medical technology and EMT training.